Friday, September 7, 2012

First Week Notes

Yay!  We made it through the first week!  Almost everybody had their first lesson and it was so great to see everybody!

The main goal everybody has this week is to sit down with you and figure out a practice goal for the year.   You can adjust this goal throughout the year based on what is going on in your child's life.  I know that soccer season can get busy, for instance.  Or maybe your child has a big crazy school project for the next week and needs to dial back the practice a little bit.  That's OK.  The goal can be adjusted during those busy times.

Remember that smaller chunks of time more consistently is better than a big chunk of time once or twice a week.  Refer to the practice tab on this blog for more specific guidelines.

I would like you to determine the following things when figuring out a practice goal.:
  • Number of days that they're going to practice
  • Amount of time each practice session will take
  • A general time of day when they can practice.  If they choose the same time, every day (ie. right after breakfast, right after getting home from school, right after dinner, etc.), they will be much more likely to reach their goals.
I don't care so much what the goal is, just as long as they are working towards the goal they have set for themselves.

Also, please encourage them to record their practice time in their chart.  It helps me a ton if I know how much they have practiced during the week.  Then I can adjust the level or quantity of music as needed.

Once you and your child have determined their practice goal, please send me a message letting me know.  I will make a chart of everybody's practice times so I know whether or not they've reached their goal (they get a prize and a 5-point bonus ticket every week they reach their goal).  I can't give them the rewards until I know their practice goal. 

We're off to a great start.  Everybody who had a lesson this week got their Halloween music and is getting back into the swing.  A lot of people forgot a lot of things over the summer, so there may be a lot of flashcards and a lot of reviewing at first, but they'll get it back quickly.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!  Halloween Recital schedule is on the blog and in their binders.

No comments: